We are halfway through the year, so it’s time to look back and see which records stood out the most!
Every year I go back and do a top 5 list at the middle and end of the year. The time has come for me to reflect on the records that have come out in the first half of the year and give you my top 5. 2019 is a huge year for rock music, but most of the big albums are coming out this fall. A lot of the records that came out in the first half of the year are from bands that have gained popularity sometime in the last 10 years. None of my top 5 from the front half of the year have waited 14 years to put out a new record. Let’s dig in.
- amo by Bring Me The Horizon – This record actually surprised me. I was never really into BMTH before and I didn’t think their new sound would do it for me, but I was very wrong. The new album has a lot more pop elements than any of their previous releases, but there is still the same raw passion that comes from making heavy music like they’re known for. It’s been one of the only albums for me this year that I could just listen all the way through. My top songs off this record include “sugar honey ice & tea” as well as “heavy metal.”
- OK, I’M SICK by Badflower – These guys came out of nowhere this year. You may have heard they’re hit song “Ghost,” which came out back in 2018 and put them on the map. That song, along with a ton of other great ones, is featured on their debut record. This album is full of the angsty feelings you would get when listening to My Chemical Romance back in the mid-2000s.I saw these guys open up for Nothing More earlier this year and they are a blast to see live. Expect big things from this band.
- STRENGTH IN NUMB333RS by FEVER 333 – Fever 333 came on the scene just a couple years ago with a killer Travis Barker (Blink-182) collaboration and have been spreading their message ever since. These guys take what they believe and put it into the music to let people know what they’re all about and I respect that. They don’t want to convert people over to their side, but they do want to create a safe place for discussion about social issues. Plus, they’ve got a wild and energetic live show. Remember, there’s a fever coming.
- Trauma by I Prevail – This band has been through hell and back over the last couple of years and they didn’t let that stop them from doing what they love most – making a badass record and giving it to the people. This album is full of emotion and can even be hard to listen to at times because of how raw it is. Trust me when I say you might need some tissues by the time you get to “Goodbye.” If you get the chance, catch these guys live. They’re an amazing band to go bang your head to and, if you want, even mosh a little bit.
- Disguise by Motionless in White – MIW are one of those bands that screams a lot and some people don’t like it. If I’m honest, I didn’t like it at first either, but the more I dove into the lyrics of their songs I found that I really enjoyed it. Chris Motionless, the lead vocalist, has a killer voice for both screaming and singing. This album was Chris on a plate and it really shows. If you have had a chance to watch their documentary on the making of the record, you should.
Those are my top records of the year up to this point. I’m sure you might be surprised about me leaving out a record or two, but this is the list. As for the rest of the year, we’ve got a lot of new music coming our way. My most anticipated albums for the second half of 2019 include Slipknot, Korn, Starset, Tool, Volbeat and Skillet, all of which have records coming out in the next three months.
What were your top 5 records from the first half of the year? Tweet at me and let me know!